Welcome to the Sunbirds Class!
Teacher: Kate Leach
TAs: Vivienne Halliwell and Debbie Pearson
Mid Day Leader: Shapla Begum
On The Move
It’s been a busy half term for the Sunbirds! We’ve had so much fun learning all about our topic ‘On the Move’
In English we have been reading the Jolly Postman by Janet and Alan Alberg. We have been working on our comprehension and sentence building skills, spelling and made lots of exciting crafts linked to the story. The children have used Colourful Semantics to build sentences to describe illustrations from the story. We have loved retelling the story through role play and using symbols. The Sunbirds have been enjoying our role play Post Office and using a non-fiction book about the Postal system to learn more about how they work.
We are continuing to work on our phase 3 phonics and tricky words. We learnt a new sound each week and practiced saying, reading and writing them. We have continued to enjoy Move and Mark developing our fine and gross motor skills to music and using different sensory materials to improve and develop our letter formation.
We have worked towards our own targets in Maths. Completing different challenges and activities every day to help develop our skills in number, shape and application. We have been focusing on money and have been practicing paying for items in our role play shop.
The Sunbirds have enjoyed learning all about the weather, we can recognise a variety of weather types and say which season it is likely to occur in. We have made some super drip art inspired by the work of Jackson Pollock.
The children have loved building bridges in DT for the Three Billy Goats, they have worked hard throughout the process; exploring, designing, making and evaluating them, to make them strong. In PE we have been focusing on ball skills, we have developed our skills in basketball, dodgeball and hockey. In PSHE we have been learning about emotions, we are able to identify them and give ways to regulate them where needed. In computing we have been creating music using Chrome Music Lab on our iPads and sharing it with our peers. We have been learning about magnets in Science and are able to sort magnetic and non-magnetic materials.
It’s been a fantastic first half term in the Sunbirds! Kate, Viv and Pam are very proud of you all, and we can’t wait to have lots more fun next half term!
At Halcyon Way we use Signalong as a part of a Total Communication Approach, we are constantly using core vocabulary with the children to support their language development and then through each of our topics we introduce new signs and language, which extends their vocabulary further. We also have two “Signs of the Week” which helps maintain and extend key knowledge and skills of everyday vocabulary.
Each half term we will be creating a short video showcasing and demonstrating signs relavent for the current term so that you can learn the signs and further this learning at home.
Click play to watch this half terms Signalong video!
If your child has a school dinner, the school menus can be accessed by clicking here. For children who bring a packed lunch, please remember to provide healthy and balanced options. We are a Healthy School and will be focusing on healthy eating and how children can make healthy lifestyle choices.
How You Can Help at Home
The following activities are suggested as support activities which you can enjoy with your child and reinforce the learning we are focusing on this half term. Our topic this half term is Winter Wonderland.
- Please continue to encourage your child to discuss one thing they have done each day at school, this helps your child to structure their ideas and lengthen sentences.
- Practice asking each other one question a day / week to help your child formulate a question and an answer.
- Discuss the theme ‘Winter Wonderland’. What is the weather like in winter? What clothes do we wear to keep warm?
- Our book for this half term will be Stick Man by Julia Donaldson and The Jolly Christmas Post Man by Alan Ahlberg if you’d like to look at it together at home it can be found on YouTube.
- Please try to read/look at a book at least twice a week with your child if possible.
- Our sounds for the term will be igh, oa, oo, ar, or, ur, ow
- Practise counting objects to 10 and one more, one less.
- We are learning mathematic language full, empty, heavy and light. Please experiment filling and emptying containers and comparing objects to see which is heavier.
- We are learning about Raymond Briggs in Art. Have a look at pictures on the internet of his work. Ask your child if they like it, what do they like about it? Talk about the colours used.
- In Science we are learning about materials. Can they identify different materials? Can they experiment with materials that float and sink? Can they experiment with freezing and melting?
- In History we are learning about castles. Have a look on the internet at pictures of castles. Can they name any features? Read stories about castles and knights.