Welcome to the Sunbirds Class!
Teacher: Kate Leach
TAs: Vivienne Halliwell and Debbie Pearson
Mid Day Leader: Shapla Begum
Hairy, Scary Beast
It’s been a busy half term for the Sunbirds! We’ve had so much fun learning all about our topic ‘Hairy, Scary Beasts’
In English we have been reading the Gruffalo by Julia Donaldson. We have been working on our comprehension and sentence building skills, spelling and made exciting crafts linked to the story. The children have used colourful Semantics to build sentences to describe illustrations from the story. We have loved retelling the story through role play and using symbols. We had a special visit from Oldham library, who performed their pantomime ‘The Wrong Reindeer’, which we really enjoyed.
We are continuing to work on our phase 3 phonics and tricky words. We learnt a new sound each week and practiced saying, reading and writing them. We have continued to enjoy move and mark developing our fine and gross motor skills to music and using different sensory materials to improve and develop our letter formation.
We have also been working towards our own targets in Maths. Completing different challenges and activities every day to help develop our skills in number, shape and application. We have been focusing on addition and subtraction, using different methods and resources to support us.
The Sunbirds have enjoyed learning all about animals in Science, we have learnt to group animals, about their habitats and how to look after our environment. The children also enjoyed watching our eggs hatch into chick, and were very sensible and gentle when handling the chicks. We have made some super animal sculptures in Art using recycled materials, based on the work of Angela Haseltine Pozzi. The children have loved making bird feeders in D&T, they have worked hard throughout the process; exploring, designing, making and evaluating them. In PE we have been focusing on football, we have developed our dribbling, passing, and aim. In PSHE we have been learning about how to be kind friends, each week we have focussed on a different skill such as sharing and have then practiced these skills with our friends. In computing we have been developing our photography skills using digital cameras. In RE we have focused on belonging, we have explored the story of The Lost Sheep and The Monkey King. We have loved learning about local history and really enjoyed our visit to Ram Mill.
It’s been a fantastic half term in the Sunbirds! Kate, Viv and Pam are very proud of you all, and we can’t wait to have lots more fun next half term!
At Halcyon Way we use Signalong as a part of a Total Communication Approach, we are constantly using core vocabulary with the children to support their language development and then through each of our topics we introduce new signs and language, which extends their vocabulary further. We also have two “Signs of the Week” which helps maintain and extend key knowledge and skills of everyday vocabulary.
Each half term we will be creating a short video showcasing and demonstrating signs relavent for the current term so that you can learn the signs and further this learning at home.
Click play to watch this half terms Signalong video!
If your child has a school dinner, the school menus can be accessed by clicking here. For children who bring a packed lunch, please remember to provide healthy and balanced options. We are a Healthy School and will be focusing on healthy eating and how children can make healthy lifestyle choices.
How You Can Help at Home
The following activities are suggested as support activities which you can enjoy with your child and reinforce the learning we are focusing on this half term. Our topic this half term is Hairy, Scary Beasts.
- Please continue to encourage your child to discuss one thing they have done each day at school, this helps your child to structure their ideas and lengthen sentences.
- Practice asking each other one question a day / week to help your child formulate a question and an answer.
- Discuss the theme ‘Hairy Scary Beasts’. Can they name and identify different types of animal?
- Our book for this half term will be ‘The Gruffalo’ by Julia Donaldson, if you’d like to look at it together at home it can be found on YouTube.
- Please try to read/look at a book at least twice a week with your child if possible.
- Our sounds for the term will be igh, oa, oo, ar, or, ur, ow
- We are learning mathematic language full, empty, heavy and light. Please experiment filling and emptying containers and comparing objects to see which is heavier.
- We are learning about Angela Haseltine Pozzi in Art. Have a look at pictures on the internet of her work. Ask your child if they like it, what do they like about it? Talk about the objects used to create her sculptures.
- In Science we are learning about animals. Is your child able to identify and name animals? Can they talk about different animal habitats and what animals need to survive?
- In RE we will be learning about belonging. Discuss belonging with your child, do they belong to any clubs or teams?
- In History, we will be learning about the local history of Chadderton. When you are walking around identify buildings or statues which have been there a long time. Talk about how things have changed since you (or grandparents/older people that they know) were a child.