All children within the Early Years Foundation Stage (EYFS) at Halcyon Way are provided with the best possible start in life through a personalised and creative curriculum. Individual stages of development are recognised, understood and appropriately planned for through using and adapting the underlying principles of the EYFS statutory framework and Development Matters in structuring our offer to ensure children’s stages of development are recognised, understood and appropriately planned for. The values and intent of the school underpin the Early Years Foundation Stage.
The ways in which the child engages with other people and their environment – playing and exploring, active learning, and creating and thinking critically – underpin learning and development across all areas and support the child to become an effective and motivated learner. We understand every child is unique and recognise the fundamental processes of learning from the earliest stages.
In the EYFS we recognise the fundamental processes of learning from the earliest stages. The EYFS offer follows the Halcyon Way model for Teaching & Learning which is organised into 5 Flightpaths. Essentially, the curriculum is built around meeting the holistic needs of each child. The four areas of each child’s Education and Health Care Plan form the basis of priorities for the provision.
We use a thematic approach (see table) to plan for teaching and learning which advocates creativity and active engagement in learning.
Children in the EYFS are encouraged to learn through playing and exploring, being creative and being active, with their learning taking place both indoors and outside. Play helps children to socialise and learn from one another as well as helping to develop communication. Children are supported at all times by our highly trained team of staff
We understand the importance of effective partnership between home and school. Our offer to families includes:
- Daily 2-way communication using Seesaw to share messages, photographs, videos and information about the children
- Annual interim meeting for all new children to take place within the first half term of them starting at Halcyon Way School
- Annual Personalised Planning Meeting (PPMs) to review their child’s progress, achievements and aspirations for the future, contributing to future priorities
- At the end of the year, a summary statement is written for parents/carers
- Half termly parent/carer guides and newsletters are shared on the Kingfisher Special School website half termly
- A welcome/transition meeting for all children when they start in the Nursery or Reception
- Access to Parental workshops