At Halcyon Way, the physical environment is of a high quality and supports our values and vision in providing the best we can and nothing less than the children deserve.
Children should expect:-
- An environment which reflects a Total Communication Approach where the basic right to communicate is paramount and achieved through a wide range of approaches and resources for example, signing, symbols, photographs, objects of reference, visual timetables, communication books and boards
- The environment to reflect the school’s shared and agreed values
- A safe, welcoming, well organised environment where they feel secure, included and valued and their access to learning needs are reflected in their class environment and within shared areas around school
- ICT to effectively support and enable their access within their environment and enhance learning and communication
- Disruptions to their learning to be well managed and minimised wherever possible
- Distinct areas within classrooms and within school where learning, care and health needs are met most effectively
- Flexible organisation which adapts to meet changing needs, allowing for “own space”, avoiding triggers to anxiety, minimal distraction and planned change
- Safe, stimulating and accessible outdoor areas
- Personal Care facilities to be age and need appropriate
Flip a card to learn more about some of our areas!
The Cookery Room is a wonderful environment for the children to learn and practise their skills around cooking and nutrition.
Children have their dinner in a bespoke dining hall which encourages independence and the opportunity to share meals with their friends.
This large school hall is a perfect location for PE and whole school assemblies and performances.
The library at Halcyon Way has been organised to enable children to develop their language and communication skills. Class story sessions are supported by high quality sensory resources to engage children in story telling and enhance their learning experience. Books are stored and labelled with symbols to enable children to find books they are interested in and develop key classification skills where appropriate.
The MUGA (Multi Use Games Area) is used for playtimes and PE. Children enjoy games including football and also socialising with their peers.
The Outdoor classroom is an enclosed classroom space which has access to the outdoors.
The Sensory Gym is a specific space for children to explore self regulation.
Shared Play is an area which children can explore play.
This space can be used for Getting Ready for Learning activities where children can channel their energies into free play and gross motor activity.
The studio is a multi-purpose learning environment. Using audio/visual technology the studio transforms in colour and sound to create a unique sensory experience to enhance teaching and learning. The studio’s soft cushioning floor is a safe space to explore the five areas of movement.